Nine local community groups welcomed a $12,500 funding injection last night from Hastings Co-op’s annual Community Chest grants program.
Designed to support community-based projects that will leave a lasting legacy, the grants ensure long-awaited projects such as a surf club trailer, FAWNA training equipment, girl guide water tank and school play areas can become a reality.
This year’s Community Chest recipients include: Comboyne Community Preschool, Wauchope Girl Guides, Beechwood Public School, Hasitngs District Pony Club, FAWNA, Wauchope RSL Cricket Club, Byabarra Sport and Tennis Club, Wauchope Public School P&C and Tacking Point Surf Club.
At Thursday night’s presentation Hastings Co-op’s chief executive officer Allan Gordon explained that Hastings Co-op IGA customers play a pivotal role in the Community Chest program, with funds from specially-marked ‘Community Chest’ products pooled to provide the grants.
More than $73,963 has been raised by customers since official recording started in 2012, however, an estimated $200,000 has been returned to the local community since the program’s inception.
“Every time you purchase one of these specially-marked products you can feel good about giving back to the community too,” Mr Gordon said.
“Communtiy Chest is all about building a brighter future and recognising the tapestry of community groups that make a real difference to the Hastings way of life.
“Hastings Co-op has a proud history of giving back and our annual Community Chest grants is just one example.
“We hope each of the community groups, their members, volunteers and the wider community enjoy the benefits of these grants for many years to come.”
Community Chest projects
1. Comboyne Community Preschool - soft fall in the play area
2. Wauchope Girl Guides - upgrade to camp shed, including water tank and two solar panels
3. Beechwood Public School – sun shelter over infants sand pit
4. Hastings District Pony Club – public address system
Continued over page >
5. FAWNA - education and training equipment
6. Wauchope RSL Cricket Club – junior and senior equipment and training upgrade
7. Byabarra Sports and Tennis Club - water tank, pump and hot water heater to clubhouse
8. Wauchope Public School P&C - home readers project
9. Tacking Point Surf Club - trailer to carry equipment to events
Applications for 2018-19 Community Chest grants will open October 2018.
If you'd like more information, phone Tim Walker on 02 6588 8999 or email email@example.com
$27,600 in community grants awarded in 2016
Seventeen (17) groups shared in $27,600 in funding thanks to the 2016-17 Community Chest grants, including non-for-profit groups from all corners of the Hastings, which represent everyone from schools and sporting clubs to disability, volunteer and special interest groups.
The 2016-17 recipients were:
- Wauchope Netball Club
- Lifeline Port Macquarie
- Beechwood Public School
- Wauchope Show Society
- Wauchope Hockey Club
- Pappinbarra Progress Association
- Tacking Point Surf Life Saving Club
- Hastings Education Fund
- Port Macquarie Cycle Club
- Comboyne Tennis Club
- Wauchope Park Run
- Beechwood Shamrocks Rugby League Football Club
- Wauchope RSL Cricket Club
- Upper Rollands Plains Public School
- Wauchope and Port Macquarie Riding for the Disabled Centre
- Wauchope Soccer Club
- 2nd Wauchope Scout Group